Autonumbering and Power Headers Power Headers Forum

Avatar

Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —




— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Autonumbering and Power Headers
11/03/2011
11:39 am
Avatar
niftyix
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10
Member Since:
08/14/2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have a document that has autonumbering for the Aheads. The style is set up with the number having a character style of "h1num" and there is a tab inserted between the number and the actual head.

 

When I use Power Headers, it is reading the tab so it puts the number on the left and the text on the right with the tab in between. 

 

I tried to set up 2 separate variables: one that would read just the number (maybe the h1num style) and one that would read just the text. I thought I could insert the first, add an em space, and insert the second, but it didn't work.

 

Do you know of a way to maybe remove the tab character and replace it with an emspace, or another work around?

11/03/2011
12:01 pm
Avatar
Harbs
Admin
Forum Posts: 201
Member Since:
12/19/2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

You can do this with a single variable using a GREP Processor:

 

Find: \t

Change: ~m

11/03/2011
12:14 pm
Avatar
niftyix
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10
Member Since:
08/14/2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thanks. I was just going to post that I had figured it out. I was using ^t instead of \t.

11/04/2011
8:18 am
Avatar
niftyix
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10
Member Since:
08/14/2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Just one more problem. When the header first appears on the page the tab is included in the header. On all subsequent pages, it's correct. Do you know what would cause this?

You can see samples here:

http://www.necomp.us/pics/sample1.jpg

http://www.necomp.us/pics/sample2.jpg

 

By the way, I'm using InDesign CS3. I also tried "Remove overrides" thinking something was left over, but that didn't help.

11/06/2011
1:44 am
Avatar
Harbs
Admin
Forum Posts: 201
Member Since:
12/19/2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

It's hard to say what the problem would be without seeing the file. If you'd like to send me the file I can take a look.

One workaround you can try would be to use a Global Grep Processor rather than a regular one.

11/06/2011
7:07 am
Avatar
niftyix
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10
Member Since:
08/14/2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thanks. That is what I just did and it seems to work. I had nothing in Global Greps; just in the "More Options." After including it in the Global, it seems to work. One thing I noticed that was strange is: If I call the frame "recto" and use "Variable name" as "rectohead," when I ran Power Headers, it would insert the word "head" after the text. I had to change the variable name to something that didn't include the frame name. By the way, this extension is a life saver.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 197

Currently Online:
3 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

jacksonlame: 18

niftyix: 10

Ulrich Bogun: 9

jackferthomas: 8

Adrian: 8

Soyablack123: 7

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1

Members: 5966

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 23

Topics: 279

Posts: 705

Newest Members: andxblink, Marie Guillot Farneti, vendela, JFVYEzUcMBHjm, lVxEaqFzuhPiG, kfohAENY

Administrators: In-Tools: 11, Harbs: 201